Friday, September 3, 2010

What goes around, comes around

If there’s one thing that every new adult can understand, it’s finding easy ways to earn and save money. I love being thrifty and finding new ways to do this. That’s half the reason I write this blog. One of the principles of living green is living simply. Less stuff equals less waste, less production, less dependency, less, less, less. Less is more as they always say, especially more money. 

Lately I have been going through the seemingly endless boxes of junk that I have accumulated over the past eighteen years (most of which not to my knowledge). For me, this process has been therapeutic- symbolic of cleaning out my life and starting on this crazy adventure of adulthood. These trips to the recycling bin have been numerous, the trips to the garbage few, and the trips to donation bins and locations satisfyingly many.

It is amazing how much of the things we have we don’t need and how all of that we can give away or recycle. You don’t have to set aside any major portion of time to simplify your life. When you come across something, ask yourself:
Do I need this?
Have I used this in recent history?
Would I enjoy this more than someone else?
Will I even remember this once it’s gone?

Courtesy of Bearly Worn
There is a good chance that most ‘things’ in your house, you would actually say no to these questions about. It is one thing to be a sentimental person, but a completely different thing to be a packrat. It is a great feeling to clean out the clutter in your life. So if you answered no to these, bring the item somewhere you can give it away or it can be recycled. Set it aside in a bag or a place in your house/apartment/dorm that is neither in the way or so far out of the way that you forget about it. Once enough items accumulate, you can bring the items in; that way you aren’t wasting time, money, and likely gas by making too many trips.

For example, I have a box for used batteries and gift cards that I will eventually turn in. I also have a bag for old clothes, and one for old shoes.

So what’s the kicker? What’s the real reason besides reducing waste to donate and recycle your old stuff? The answer is: money. Americans’ favorite reward. More specifically: tax deductions. If you bring enough items to donate at a collection location you can get big time tax deductions. Just this past month, I brought a huge (and when I say huge I mean that it can no longer be brought onto a plane) suitcase full of my old baby and kid clothes that my mother had saved. I lugged that suitcase 14 blocks down to the local used clothing store and they handed me a $100 tax deductible slip. About a week later, I packed over 70 stuffed animals into six reusable grocery bags, climbed onto the bus and brought them to a family aid center. Once again, $100 tax deductible.

(Note: most places will give you a tax deductible slip for donations of $50 or more. Just ask those in charge of handling donations what the minimum is.)



But of course, for me, my favorite kind of donation is the personal one. The look on two little girls’ faces when I hand them a crate of toys is the warmest feeling. Or bringing my nicest baby clothes to an expecting mother. You don’t have to get cash benefit from donating to enjoy it. But either way, by donating what you don’t need, helps others, helps yourself, and shares the idea of reciprocity and community with those around you.

For ideas on where to recycle or donate just about anything visit: earth911 . Soon I will include a page on my site for places in Portland, Oregon to donate just about anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment